September 1, 2020
Our Commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
During this time of heightened awareness of racial injustice and social inequity, and economic uncertainty around the world, we recognize that we must take urgent action. We condemn the violence and systemic racism faced by Black, Indigenous and other people of colour and understand that we must be responsible and accountable in our efforts to seek meaningful, lasting change in a society that needs boldness, compassion and inclusion, now more than ever.
For more than 60 years, Scholastic Canada has worked toward a more just and equitable world for students and families. We renew that commitment each day, guided by the words of the Scholastic Credo:
We believe in:
- The worth and dignity of each individual
- Respect for the diverse groups in our multicultural society
- Representative government and even-handed justice that maintains equality of rights for all people
- Cooperation and understanding among all people for the peace of the world
- The basic freedoms of all individuals — we oppose discrimination of any kind on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation or identity, age, or national origin
In collaboration with our staff, and with professionals outside our company, Scholastic Canada is committed to developing a long-term strategy to create and sustain an equitable, inclusive workplace where employees thrive, where we publish and promote underrepresented voices and stories, and where we partner with and support those in marginalized or underserved communities. And we acknowledge that we have much, much more work to do as we lay the foundation for the journey ahead. A listing of our ongoing initiatives can be found here.